Frupeco (Fruit Peeling Company) processes various types of fruits for fruit salads and prepackaged fruit for restaurants and grocery stores. The waste water is mainly diluted fruit juice and citric acid from the acid baths. The BOD and COD concentrations are very high and the pH very low. Also the waste water is very low in nutrients (N, P). A two-stage aerated wetland treats the waste water, which will be reused in the near future.
Aerated wetland 1,650 m² for treatment of fruit peeling company.
- In operation since: 2017
- Type of wastewater treated: Industrial: food processing
- Hydraulic load: 40 m³/day
- Organic load (PE): 4,400 PE
- Organic design load (kg BOD/day): 178
- Location: Lendelede, Belgium
- Stage 1 type: FBA vertical flow
- Stage 1 surface area (m²): 1,500
- Stage 2 type: FBA horizontal flow
- Stage 2 surface area (m²): 150